Skip to main content

If You've Seen Me, You've Seen My Father

Last night at dinner I was telling stories on my parents when out of my mouth came the voice of my Dad - his words, his tone, his attitude.  It stunned me for a moment, and with  my hand over my mouth I looked at my friend and confessed, "I am so much like my Dad, I'm buying myself a Father's Day card this year."

I'm not sure I want make an official confession of all the ways we are alike, but here's a short list.  He's a poet, a writer, a wordsmith, a thinker, loves to unfold truth in the Bible, a book collector, a collector of interesting things.  He's funny, he's snide, the life of the party if you can get him to go to one, but he's happy to be at home most of the time.  If I am any of those things, I promise you I am a lesser, unrefined version by comparison.  There's much of that list I have yet to perfect to the degree my Dad has, but he's got 30 years more practice than I do.

If you're still not sure you know my Dad, I can only say, "if you've seen me, you've seen my father."  If you know me at all, you have a pretty good idea what he's like.  Pull all of me in the body of a handsome older man, and you have my dad.  As much as it takes me off guard sometimes, I'm pretty happy about that.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!