Skip to main content

Dam Dam Dam Dam Dam (Part 1)

Five Ways We Hinder the Flow of God's Work in Our Lives


I think we can all agree that in our heads we know that God can do anything.  We've intellectually accepted that He has the right, the power and the privilege to do whatever He desires to do.  In our heads, it's a fact.  In our hearts, it's a thesis.  A working thesis, granted - one we're willing to test on occasion, but deep down we're still gathering our own bits of evidence like spiritual CSI's until we can confidently declare that God is indeed able to do anything because we've seen Him do anything.  I know this with great certainty because by "we" I mean "me".  In my head I'm 100% confident that God is able to work miracles in my life, but in my heart, I'm iffy.  Let's face it - if I were more certain in my heart of that thesis, I'd ask Him to do miracles fully knowing He could and would.

Pardon my humanity in that confession. I'm certain I'm alone in that.  Surely everyone else has God figured out, has a monumental prayer habit and has miracles occurring more rapid-fire than beer commercials during an NFL game.  I, on the other hand, am in a bit of a crisis of faith.

Then last night, I was laying in bed not sleeping listening to a local preacher online trying to decide if I could overcome my anxiety and social phobia to attempt church attendance again while I still know a few of the songs and still have my original hips to dance to them if I so choose.  Delightful pastor and good teaching and I probably would have gone to that church today if I hadn't spent a sleepless night pouring over their website and listening to their online sermons until 4am... but I digress.

The teaching I listened to centered around Mark 6 when Jesus goes to His hometown, back to His home synagogue and causes quite a scandal - literally.  The word in verse 3 for their reaction to Him is "skandalezo".  It was such a disaster, Jesus couldn't do very much there - a few healings and that's it.  He and His disciples were outta there - on to other little towns a villages more receptive.  Jesus said that it was because a prophet is only without honor in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own home.  Jesus was perfect - completely, one hundred percent flawless - and He couldn't pull it off either.  I'm not sure familiarity always breed contempt, but it certain can put some doubts in your mind.

Photo by Justin Camp
It's sad really - I imagine that the one place Jesus would have the greatest desire to minister would be among people He knew and loved.  He knew their hurts, their histories, their struggles and pains; and He had all the power in the world to make things right for them.  But they... they were the ones that kept that from happening.  He would have and could have done so much more, but they threw up a roadblock, a detour, a dam.  He was willing to give, but they were unable to receive.

I hate to tell you this, but we do the same thing.  God is willing and able to do more than we could ask or imagine, but we throw up our own roadblocks, detours and dams.  We hinder what He's able to do in the very same manner as the people of Jesus' home town.   I know this with great certainty because by "we" I mean "me".  I keep God from doing all He wants to do in my life by exhibiting the same five attitudes and behaviors found in this passage.  The same five dams that kept God's power from flowing in Nazareth, block the work of God in my life too; and all five are characterized by the questions Jesus faced when He tried to come home.

1) Where did He get these things?
2) What wisdom is this that such mighty works are performed by His hands?
3) Is this not the Carpenter?
4) Isn't this the son of Mary and brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon?
5) Aren't His sisters here with us?


We'll talk about all five dams tomorrow in part 2.

ps - Just for your information - not every version agrees on the punctuation of this passage, so the questions will read differently from one translation or paraphrase to the other.  (Punctuation isn't inspired, right?)