Skip to main content

TBT #4 - What Makes You Happy?

Being away from my family this year for Thanksgiving reminded me of the first Thanksgiving I spent with my brother's family and a precious lesson I learned about happiness.  It's resonating today as I reflect on the previous year of unemployment, uncertainty, and mourning all of which has been accompanied by the rich goodness of God and the sufficiency of His presence.  

Whether you find yourself in a season of plenty or want, I pray you are filled with gratefulness for the companionship of the Savior who orders our steps and then walks with us through it all.  Grace & Peace to you all!  


"What Makes You Happy?"
Thanksgiving 2008


$1.99 for Bubba teeth is an investment... trust me.
We had the most fun with them.  
Today I spent Thanksgiving with my brother Justin and his new family - wife, son, daughter and MIL. This is a first since they've only been married a matter of weeks and I went with a bit of trepidation.  I feel so awkwardly single some times... and the holidays this year have amplified that feeling.

So it was time to start the meal and my brother told everyone to say one thing they are thankful for before we were to pray and give thanks. He started with his son, "Mason, what are you thankful for?"

Blank stare... I'm guessing a 3 year old might not grasp the concept of thankfulness. 

Hoping to clarify it in his little mind, Justin asked him, "What makes you happy?"

"Aunt Lisa."

That was it - I was done for. I couldn't talk, I couldn't look at anyone. All I could do was try to blink fast enough that the tears wouldn't actually spill over the rims of my eyes and make me a total mess. I think that little boy could have had anything he wanted from me at that point "up to half my kingdom". He wasn't impressed with the new Spiderman motorcycle or the feast spread out in front of him. His delight was in me.

Our Father has that same heart when His children are asked "what makes you happy?" and they reflect on the Person of the Savior rather than His gifts, rather than His provision. Psalm 37:4 jumped off the pages today in a new and rather humbling way. Delight yourself in the Lord - not the prosperity, not the security, not the "fire insurance" - delight yourself in knowing the Lord in His Presence, and you too will have won His heart. Whatever you want is yours.

And here's the kicker... when we get to the place that He alone is our delight, the "stuff" just doesn't matter anymore. Who cares about prosperity? Who cares about poverty? We have an amazing Companion in this journey - a delightful Companion who generously offers Himself to the frustrations, failures and fractures of our lives.

I don't always get this right. Just last night I was bemoaning another lonely holiday season coming on. But today I was reminded of the loving kindness of my Savior. May He be my delight today and throughout another year. May He be all.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!